DALI Type 8, also known as DALI 209, is a DALI compatible device (device Type 8) which allows a user to change light colour , colour temperature and intensity to their preference, within the same fixture to achieve tunable white and RGB/W colour changing.
DALI Type 8 uses a single DALI short address to control 2 or more outputs on a special DALI Type 8 driver or ballast, reducing the number of both DALI short addresses and DALI drivers needed to provide this colour changing capability, saving on cost and complexity.
DALI Type 8 can be used to control:
- – Tunable White (Tuneable white) – 2 different colour temperature LED are used to mix white for the desired colour temperature output.
- – RGB fixtures
- – RGBW fixtures
The DALI Type 8 driver can have a number of its variables set such that control to a single DALI address can provide a myriad of colour and intensity options, simply and inexpensively.
Why Use DALI Type 8 in Commercial Buildings?
Use of DALI Type 8 in commercial buildings is still in its infancy as lighting designers, electrical engineers and employers come to understand the effect of light on humans more deeply.
DALI Type 8 is very flexible in its capability to control both the RGB spectrum and intensity as well as tunable white whereby inside a single fixture from a single DALI address one can control the white colour temperature.
See DALI Tunable white for more information.
Each DALI Type 8 driver will have a specific colour range it can control, whether that be RGB or white.
The applications for DALI Type 8 are therefore very broad and diverse. As these Type 8 drivers can be integrated into a complete DALI lighting control solution, specifying DALI Type 8, with specific output characteristics is a cost effective way to provide functional lighting control as well decorative and architectural elements from a single solution.
RAPIX is DALI Type 8 Enabled
- – DALI Type 8 Circadian Rhythm simulations over time throughout the day
- – DALI Type 8 scene and mood recall to specific
colourtemperatures to stimulate motivation, productivityand creativity.
- – DALIType 8 intensity and
Read more about RAPIX Lighting Control System.
How to Implement DALI Type 8?
There are 2 common ways to make this work on a DALI Compliant system.
1) Install a DALI Compliant DALI Type 8 / DALI 209 driver in each fixture which has a single DALI short address with dual output capability to an integrated cool white/warm white LED array /board for colour and intensity mixing.
2) Install 2 normal DALI Compliant LED drivers/ ballasts to control 2 discreet warm white and cool white LED or fluorescent tubes. In this way, each driver/ballast consumes a DALI address each.
The latter solution will consume more DALI addresses and DALI power from the DALI line.
A native DALI Type 8 solution may increase the cost of the single driver for each fixture but will consume fewer DALI addresses and less DALI power from the DALI line.
Our RAPIX Xi Certified Systems Integrators can help with your RAPIX DALI Type 8 project design and programming.